The Versatility of Beans
Beans are easy to store, a great source of protein and soluble fiber. You can purchase them fresh, canned, frozen, dried and in flour form. They make a great addition to soups, main dishes, side dishes, appetizers and snacks.
Black Bean & Corn Salad
- 1 can yellow corn drained, and rinsed
- 1 can white corn drained, and rinsed
- 1 can black eyed peas drained, and rinsed
- 1 can black beans drained, and rinsed
- 1 small can of green chilies or a small can of diced jalapeños if you like it hotter. You can also use fresh jalapeños, be careful to remove ribs and seeds.
- 1-1/2 to 2 chopped peppers of any color I like to use red, yellow & orange for the color
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 3-4 roma tomatoes diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro chopped
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 bottle of your favorite Italian dressing (or make your own) & stir well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir and if dry, add slightly more dressing.
- Serve with Tostitos scoops.