Here is an easy way to love your heart with a delicious soup that is packed with the powerful antioxidant and beta carotene. Vegetables of a deep orange hue are a wonderful source of this important nutrient.
Beta carotene is known for reducing the risk of heart disease, strengthening the immune system, relieving respiratory problems, preventing cancer, improving skin health and improving vision.
The naturally sweet taste of these delicious vegetables is deeply satisfying and also helps to reduce sugar cravings.
Heart Healthy Soup
- 3 large cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 inch piece of peeled turmeric root chopped
- 4-5 large sage leaves chopped
- few sprigs of thyme remove hard stems
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (*feel free to use butternut squash in addition to, or instead of other vegetables)
- 3 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 large golden beet peeled and cubed (*you can also use a regular beet. It will give the soup a beautiful crimson color)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Saute in a little coconut oil or ghee: garlic, tumeric root, sage leaves and thyme
- Cook for 2 minutes
- Add: sweet potatoes, carrots and golden beet.
- Cook for two minutes stirring to coat the vegetables with all the herbs.
- Add water to cover or use broth for more flavor.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, bring to a boil and cook on low for 20-30 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft.
- Serve with crumbled goat cheese and fresh chopped cilantro.